Executive Director (Full Time)
Department-Office-Secretariat: Department of Migration and Refugee Services
Date Posted: November 06, 2014
The Executive Director for Migration and Refugee Services is a practicing Catholic who serves the Bishops of the United States by providing leadership and direction to, and oversight of, MRS operations in support of the USCCB Committee on Migration mandate. The Executive Director represents the Committee in public forums, thereby bringing the bishops into dialogue with MRS stakeholders and communities of concern. These include populations served through MRS, government and international organizations, other Catholic agencies, and non-governmental organizations. The Executive Director promotes and implements the Bishops’ strategic plan and priorities for the Conference.
Educational Level: Bachelor’s degree required with at least 10 years of related executive-level experience; graduate degree preferred.
Major Field/Specialty: Social work administration, business administration, public administration, public policy, and/or organizational management
Foreign Language Requirement: None required; Spanish preferred
Other Specialized Training: (i.e. word processing, personal computer, knowledge of Catholic Church, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Catholic Church theology, structure and hierarchy, including Church teachings and bishops’ stated policies, particularly those related to migration and treatment of vulnerable groups.
- Working knowledge of compliance and oversight requirements related to government contracts, cooperative agreements and grants.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills, including ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Proficiency in relevant information technology applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, etc.)
Type and Nature of Professional Experience:
- Experience that demonstrates a deep commitment to refugees and immigrants and the ability to serve these populations and exercise job duties in accordance with Catholic church teachings and the stated policies of the Catholic bishops of the United States.
- Public policy experience regarding migration, refugees, and trafficking of persons; and services to refugees, forced migrants and victims of trafficking.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and direct comprehensive programs particularly those that pertain to migration.
- Experience overseeing a comprehensive service delivery system.
- Ability to effectively forecast trends and develop plans to meet the challenges presented by the continuously changing populations served by MRS.
- Planning and budgeting expertise (preparation, implementation, and oversight) and resource development.
- Knowledge of effective resource development strategies, including but not limited to, individual and major donors, corporate and foundation funding, and fundraising events.
- Executive level management experience and demonstrated ability to think strategically, supervise, manage, motivate and direct a large staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills. Well-developed public speaking, advocacy, relationship building, collaboration, negotiation, and presentation skills. Ability to work and communicate effectively with coalitions, diverse groups, media, and others.
- Exceptional writing skills.
Number of Years Required: Minimum of 10 years related experience.
Grade Level: B