Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Full Time)
Location: Olathe, KS
As part of the KidsTLC philosophy of care, medical staff in various roles throughout campus, work to provide collaborative and comprehensive psychiatric services to our youth. The Medical Services Team includes of our nurses, nurse managers, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, our Assistant Director of Nursing, our VP of Medical Services and our Medical Director for KidsTLC.
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Responsible for the clinical care of patients.
1. Responsible for PRTF admission orders including
a. Medications, medical treatment, laboratory orders, safety status, diet orders
2. Responsible for diagnosing and treating patients as appropriate
3. Responsible for prescribing medications appropriate to the diagnosis
4. Responsible for the case formulation and oversight of diagnostically appropriate treatment plans
5. Responsible for oversight of PRN medications (oral & IM)
6. Oversees the goals and objective on the treatment plan and signs off on the plan as well as determining when treatment is ineffective and treatment plan changes are warranted
7. Facilitates the multidisciplinary treatment team meeting
8. Works in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team providing leadership and oversight
9. Assists with and makes recommendations regarding the continued stay based on medical necessity and communicates with insurance representative as warranted
10.Consultation with collaborating physician with regard to complicated diagnostic problems, serious illness, complicated therapeutic problems and re-evaluation of chronic conditions.
Provides psychiatric mental health assessment and evaluation.
1. Provides psychiatric assessments addressing diagnosis, case formulation, treatment, follow-up, consultations and health education.
2. Educate patients and families about psychiatric diagnosis and the use of psychotropic medications
3. Provides psychiatric re-evaluations a minimum of every 30-days and more frequently as clinically indicated
4. Obtains patient and/or family histories and contributes to patient treatment plans, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
5. Maintains and facilitates medical records of all pertinent contacts.
Provides medical care to patients and education to patients and families.
1. Evaluates medical problems of patients in the program and refers to outside APRN/physician/urgent/emergency care when appropriate
2. Responsible for prescription and supervision of medications for clients in the program
3. Periodically reviews prescription medications
4. Educate patients and families about preventative care, medical issues and the use of prescribed medical treatment and/or medications
5. Practice safety, environmental and infection control methods
Documents services within applicable standards.
1. Maintains legible, accurate, timely and confidential medical records
2. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnosis, procedures, treatment, outcomes, education, referrals and consultations consistent with regulatory standards
1. Demonstrates and ability to relate well with children, adolescents, families, and outside agency personnel
2. Represents the agency at outside meetings in a professional and favorable manner
3. Displays an understanding of TLC’s philosophy of care
4. Accountable for information and directive contained in the TLC personnel policies
5. Demonstrates an understanding of the organization and has the ability to work well within the organization
6. Demonstrates good judgment in carrying out all phases of work assignments
7. Displays awareness of and adherence to the need for confidentiality as it relates to patients and staff.
8. Demonstrates the ability to work with a multi-disciplinary treatment team
9. Displays and understanding of psychiatry issues that impact children, adolescents, and families
10.Displays ability to deal courteously and tactfully with patients, visitors, and fellow employees both in person and through electronic communication (email, video conferencing, tele mental health)
11.Demonstrates the ability to plan, organizes, delegate and evaluate work
12.Demonstrates leadership abilities as well as the ability to develop the potential of staff and patients
13.Documents and tracks efforts toward professional growth activities (CE/training) for self and shares knowledge to contribute to the learning of others.
14.Maintains a structured environment built on a positive sense of management skills and discipline