Back to Category List
Maintenance Helper (Full Time)
Location: Norwich, CT
The Maintenance Helper’s role is to assist the Property Superintendent with the repair and maintenance to preserve the outstanding condition and functionality of several commercial properties in and around the Norwich area. They perform maintenance tasks of great variety from light construction, plumbing and electrical to interior and exterior painting, HVAC troubleshooting, light landscaping and snow plowing. They are a thorough, hard-working professional with a practical mind and attention to detail. They are an excellent multi-tasker who can receive instruction and provides assistance as necessary, often anticipating the needs of the Property Superintendent and switching gears quickly in an emergency when needed.
Primary Work Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assists with maintaining fresh paint on interior and exterior of the building(s).
- Assists with regular preventative maintenance on items throughout the interior and exterior of the building.
- Wears the proper safety equipment in the appropriate situations including hard hats, eye and ear protection, safety shoes, gloves, face mask and respirator.
- Help with snow removal during normal working hours.
- Assists with performing light electrical work (replace light bulbs, ballasts, outlets/switch, reset breaker panels).
- Assists with performing light plumbing work (replace toilet, faucet, flushometer, unplug sink or toilet).
- Assists with general maintenance of heating and AC systems (re-program thermostats, change filters, blow out condensate line, change condensate pump).
- Assists with performing manual repairs when necessary (fix locks, replace windows, change ceiling tiles, repair flooring and appliances).
- Performs work requiring nailing, sawing, cutting, painting, and other basic facility maintenance.
- Performs clean-up duties at construction/renovation sites.
- Uses power and hand tools for repetitive operations.
- Gathers tools and supplies to be used at the work site.
- Keeps all common areas clear and clean from any debris.
- Hold or supply tools, parts, equipment and supplies for Property Superintendent.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Qualifications:
- 1+ years’ experience in construction/maintenance field.
- High School diploma, trade school or equivalent required.
- Valid Driver’s license in good standing.
- Basic computer skills including email, Excel and Word (or comparable).
- Must have strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform basic repairs in electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Good listening and negotiating skills.
- Detail oriented and have good scheduling skills.
- Proficient at safely using tools associated with the job, such as but not limited to screwdrivers, pliers, knives, power tools, vacuums, blowers, cleaning tools and other hand tools.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Basic knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings and other structures.
- Basic first aid skills.
- Keen eye for detail and quality workmanship.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload in a rapidly changing environment.
- Willingness to work on call when necessary.
- Ability to relay technical concerns with adequate detail, quickly and accurately.
Heavy Equipment Operation (Backhoe)
- Must be able to bend, stretch, twist or reach with body, arms and/or legs.
- Must be able to maneuver in small spaces and building roofs.
- Must be able to perform various types of physical labor including climbing ladders, bending, kneeling, reaching and standing for long periods of time, lifting and carry boxes, tools, equipment, furnishings and material.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and sit.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to work near moving mechanical parts.
- Often works in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is sometimes loud.