Competitive Wages • Excellent Benefits • Dedicated to SafetyVisit Our Site
Great career opportunities, excellent benefits, hardworking industry leaders. Are you up to the challenge?
We put a high priority on providing excellent career opportunities and benefits. We believe that in order to take care of our customers, we have to take care of our employees as well. Our team is always looking for hard-working employees to join us in helping to deliver outstanding rail services with a priority on safety, service, and growth.
Engineer - Industrial Switching - Superior, WI (Full-Time)
Location: Superior, WI
Job Type: Engineer
Job Title: Engineer – OSHA/MSHA Department: Industrial Switching Division: Northern Plains Rail Services Reports to: Supervisor Industrial Switching Operations Job Status: Full Time Schedule: 5 day work week Shift: Day/Afternoon
As Engineer with Northern Plains Rail Companies, you will be In direct control of safe train movements (stopping, starting, backing, etc.), and is responsible for obeying all directions and signals from other personnel in the movement of trains.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities at NPRC are, but are not limited to:
To perform this job successfully at NPRC, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• 2+ years Qualified Engineer experience, preferred.
• Thorough knowledge of FRA requirements specific to the operation and movement of trains.
• Basic problem solving and root cause analytics.
• Interpersonal skills; ability to solve conflict; ability to balance team and individual responsibilities.
• Strong oral and written communication; ability to speak and write clearly and informatively.
• Ability to maintain professionalism and approach others in a tactful manner.
• Ability to react well under pressure in high-stressed situations; accept responsibility for own actions.
• Dependability and follow through on commitments; consistently at work on time.
• Observe all safety and security procedures; determine appropriate action beyond guidelines; report potentially unsafe conditions; use equipment and materials properly.
• Ability to judge the speed and distances of objects or moving parts.
• Strong attention to detail and safety procedures; ability to maintain focus for the entirety of the shift.
• Capability of being on call and work 12-hour shifts; days off may vary week to week.
• Ability to build harmonious relationships with your colleagues, customers and supervisors.
• Valid driver’s license.
NPRC may make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the physical demands listed below:
· Continuous: Bending, climbing stairs-ascend/descend, hearing & vision, sitting, walking,
· Frequent: Balancing, crawling, kneeling, climbing ladders-ascend/descend, reaching above & below shoulder, standing, & twisting.
· Occasional: Driving, lift & carry hand tools-shovel, broom, lantern, etc. less than 10 lbs., lift & carry backpack snow blower 20-40 lbs.
· Rare: Crouching, jogging, stooping, lift & carry knuckles & End-of Train Device over 50 lbs.
· Ability to talk and hear accurately in person, via the telephone, or via two-way radio.
· Must be able to exert a negligible amount of force constantly.
· Ability to step on and off equipment safely and work and balance from ladders to perform tasks.
· Ability to walk the length of trains on uneven ground and safely ride the side of railcars.
· Must possess at least 20/40 in each eye with or without corrective lenses.
· Must be able to recognize and distinguish colors displayed by signals, signs, etc.
· Must possess an average hearing threshold (in the better ear) of 40db at 500HZ, 1000HZ, and 2000HZ, aided or unaided.
· Continuous:Exposure to electrical hazards, works in cramped quarters, dust/smoke & fumes/odors/grease/oil, works in hot/cold temperatures, on-call, works outside, exposure to noise, vibration, walk on uneven or slippery surface, works with others & moving machinery.
· Occasional: Travel required, stand on concrete, shift work & works in wet conditions.
· Rare: Works inside, works alone, money handling, chemicals & toxic materials.
Education and Training:
· Must have and maintain an insurable driving status which includes but is not limited to NPR driver provisions.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
NPR is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected under local, state, or federal statute, ordinance, or regulation.