Competitive Wages • Excellent Benefits • Dedicated to SafetyVisit Our Site
Great career opportunities, excellent benefits, hardworking industry leaders. Are you up to the challenge?
We put a high priority on providing excellent career opportunities and benefits. We believe that in order to take care of our customers, we have to take care of our employees as well. Our team is always looking for hard-working employees to join us in helping to deliver outstanding rail services with a priority on safety, service, and growth.
Utility Mechanic WILL TRAIN- Lansford, ND (Full-Time)
Location: Lansford, ND
Job Type: Mechanic
Job Description: Utility Mechanic Department: Motive Power Division: Northern Plains Railroad Reports to: Motive Power Manger Job Status: Full Time Schedule: Varies. M-F - 06:00-1500 with additional hours as necessary. Travel required 30% as needed. Weekend work may be required but will be limited.
Pay: $25-28/hr BOS
Diesel mechanics at Northern Plains Rail Companies are responsible for the inspection, repair and maintenance of the locomotive engine.Service and clean locomotives and perform a variety of support and activities in locomotive and car repair areas. Maintain and repair railroad rolling stock.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities at NPRC are, but are not limited to:
· Perform daily, routine & periodic inspecting, servicing of all diesel electric locomotive engines as well as mechanical components in compliance with company, industry and federal standards.
· Daily inspect various mechanical systems (air brake, fuel, and lubrication) and locomotive components (wheels, trucks, cabs, and internal diesel engine parts); inspect for unusual sounds, vibrations, smells, and small changes in the visual appearance of materials or objects.
· Daily assess nature of problem and determine needed corrective action; make judgments concerning seriousness of defects and damage, (grease couplings and fittings, change oil and filters, replace brake shoes and filters, adjust brake cylinder piston travel); replace locomotive and diesel engine components (wheels on trucks, traction motors); repair locomotive parts (cracked engine blocks, truck frames) requiring use of machine tools and welding equipment; re-bore and hone cylinders and other operations requiring use of lathes, grinders; disassemble engine and other components and clean parts.
· Maintaining inventory of spare parts and placing necessary orders as necessary.
· Ability to be trained as track mobile operator and/or groundman.
To perform this job successfully at NPRC, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
NPRC may make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the physical demands listed below:
· Continuous: Walking, standing for long periods of time and balancing.
· Frequent: Driving, hearing & vision, kneeling, ascend/descend ladders and stairs, stooping, twisting, push/pull tools & equipment.
· Occasional: Sitting, bending, lifting, climbing, crawling, crouching, reaching, and reaching above & below shoulder. Must be able to lift & carry 10-50 lbs. occasionally. Throw/align a switch.
· Rare: Lift & carry over 50 lbs.
· May require travel to various facilities and provide additional services.
· Frequent:Worksincrampedquarters,exposuretodust& smoke, fumes,odors,grease,oil,worksinhot&coldtemperatures,travelrequired&on-call,worksinside&outside,noise,wetconditions,problemsolving,oral&writtencommunications,organization,interpersonalskills,perception,creativity,workingwithinterruptions,worksonfeet-footpedals,dexteritywithfingering-picking,pinching,calculator,andhandling,holding&grasping. Preparesreports.
Education and Training:
· 2 years mechanical experience
· Valid driver’s license: Must have and maintain an insurable driving status which includes but is not limited to NPR driver provisions.
· Must have and maintain an insurable driving status which includes but is not limited to NPR driver provisions.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
NPR is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected under local, state, or federal statute, ordinance, or regulation.