Back to Category List
Engineer 1 – Refinery, SLC (Full-Time)
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Job Type: Engineer
In direct control of safe train movements (stopping, starting, backing, etc.), and is responsible for obeying all directions and signals from other personnel in the movement of trains.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities but are not limited to:
- Knows and understands the requirements of FRA Rules and Regulations.
- The incumbent will provide feedback of any customer issues to the Management Team of Industrial Switching for resolution.
- Will have daily interaction with the customer to ensure the customer needs are met.
- Will ensure Daily Track Reports are accurate and both shifts are working as a team to compile information needed for the following report.
- Will also communicate any issues to the 2nd shift daily to ensure a smooth transition from Day Shift to Afternoons.
- Will ensure all equipment owned and operated by All Rail Services is maintained for safe and efficient operation.
- Responsible for inventory / supplies that all crew member need to perform daily duties.
- Will be responsible for daily / weekly on-site safety condition checks.
- Is responsible for upkeep of crew office and surrounding areas.
- Will ensure that all aspects of every operation exceed the safety requirements of NPR and the customer's facility.
- Will contact the immediate supervisor daily at shift change with a turnover to report any concerns or issues.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Must have specific job knowledge and experience in rail operations that pertain to the industry the applicant is working at.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to satisfy the customer.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
- High energy and initiative and possess ability to promote safety to others.
- Problem solving/analytical skills.
- Strong organization skills, calculating, concentration, perception, creativity & working with interruptions.
- Valid driver's license.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the physical demands listed below:
- Continuous: Bending, climbing stairs-ascend/descend, hearing & vision, sitting, walking,
- Frequent: Balancing, crawling, kneeling, climbing ladders-ascend/descend, reaching above & below shoulder, standing, & twisting.
- Occasional: Driving, lift & carry hand tools-shovel, broom, lantern, etc. less than 10 lbs., lift & carry back pack snow blower 20-40 lbs.
- Rare: Crouching, jogging, stooping, lift & carry knuckles & End-of Train Device over 50 lbs.
- Ability to talk and hear accurately in person, via the telephone, or via two-way radio.
- Must be able to exert a negligible amount of force constantly.
- Ability to step on and off equipment safely and work and balance from ladders to perform tasks.
- Ability to walk the length of trains on uneven ground and safely ride the side of railcars.
- Must possess at least 20/40 in each eye with or without corrective lenses.
- Must be able to recognize and distinguish colors displayed by signals, signs, etc.
- Must possess an average hearing threshold (in the better ear) of 40db at 500HZ, 1000HZ, and 2000HZ, aided or unaided.
- May require travel to various facilities and provide additional services.
- Continuous: Exposure to electrical hazards, works in cramped quarters, dust/smoke & fumes/odors/grease/oil, works in hot/cold temperatures, on-call, works outside, exposure to noise, chemicals & toxic materials, vibration, walk on uneven or slippery surface, works with others & moving machinery.
- Occasional: Travel required, stand on concrete, shift work & works in wet conditions.
- Rare: Works inside, works alone & money handling.
Education and Training:
- 4+ years' experience, preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of CFR section 240.
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.