Back to Category List
Production / Switch Tamper Operator MN, ND, SD (Full-Time)
Location: Fordville, ND
Job Type: Machine Operator
Operate tampering machine to perform the work that machine is designed for, such as, tamping, leveling, lining, and aligning curves of railroad track. Work Region ND, SD, MN
Essential Duties and Responsibilities but are not limited to:
- Operate tampering machine to perform the work that machine is designed for, such as, tamping, leveling, lining, and aligning curves of railroad track.
- Operate a laser level to measure height, grade, and Cross level.
- Study instructions and diagrams to establish work requirements and meet precise job specifications.
- Manage the distribution of ballast, whether by roto dump, front end loader, or by using rail car.
- Ability to run regulator or direct regulator operator to meet precise job specifications.
- Must fill out, maintain, and produce accurate and up-to-date production reports.
- Must be able to trouble shoot and/or diagnose machine problems to ensure steady production in the field.
- Communicate any safety or mechanical issues to supervisor.
- Order parts on their own and communicate with the mechanic.
- Perform maintenance and make repairs on machine and related equipment as necessary.
- Perform mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic repairs in the field and/or the shop.
- Must be able to work alone in remote locations independently and with minimum supervision.
- Inspect and recognize any deviation from FRA track safety standards part 213.
- Responsible for the safe completion and inspection of assigned task.
- Meet job production objectives safely, and within budget, with respect to detail and quality.
- Assist in the restoration, renewal, maintenance, and new construction of track structures as needed.
- Perform manual labor consisting of crouching, bending, squatting, kneeling, climbing, and lifting while working at ground level.
- Takes action to avoid potential hazards and obstructions, such as utilities, other equipment, other workers, structural objects, and through traffic.
- Works with Truck drivers loads and offloads equipment as it arrives and exits project site.
- Other Duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to Operate a 6700-production tamper or anything Equivalent.
- Track record of successful project management.
- Basic Internet and computer skills.
- Successful management of surfacing projects.
- Experience using hand tools, power tools and hydraulic equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to safety requirements and procedures.
- Ability to work on their own in remote locations independently.
- Ability to operate and maintain a Mark IV and/or Jackson 6700 tamper.
- Willingness to wear the proper and required PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as hard hat, steel toed boots, eye and hearing protection and face shields and other PPE required for specific tasks.
- The ability to communicate in a professional manner with owners, owner’s representatives, customers and direct supervisor.
- Ability to work a computer or other handheld device for payroll reports, equipment reports, safety and equipment reports and email correspondence.
- A valid Commercial Driver’s License and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Driving Record.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the physical demands listed below:
- Continuous Balancing, climbing, walking, sitting, may sit for long periods of time in a closed vehicle/machine, standing, reaching below shoulder level, grasping control levers, vision and hearing, uses close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception, good hand-eye coordination to operate all controls. Uses hands to handle and control materials, tools and vehicle controls. Uses repetitive wrist motions flexion/rotation. Uses fingering dexterity, picking, pinching, holding, grasping.
- Frequent: Manual labor. Reaching above shoulder level at arm’s length for extended periods of time, twisting, pushing and pulling levers. Uses eye-hand-foot coordination & foot dexterity/pedals.
- Occasional: Squatting, kneeling, climbing up and down ladder, bending, lift & carry tools, materials, equipment up to 10 lbs. & up to 50 lbs., lift over 50 lbs. Ability to throw/aligning switches.
- Overhead lifting, crawling on deck.
- May require travel to various facilities and provide additional services.
- Continuous: Must wear appropriate safety equipment such as safety glasses, hard hats, safety footwear, and hearing protection as required by the company. Exposed to noise.
- Frequent: Exposure to smoke, dust, fumes, odors, grease, oil, works outdoors in hot and cold temperatures and in all extreme weather conditions, works outside, vibration, works with moving machinery and mechanical parts, works at heights.
- Occasional: Exposure to electrical hazards, works in cramped quarters, works inside, chemicals, stand on concrete, shift work, walks on uneven or slippery surface, wet conditions, works with others & alone, paperwork.
- Rare: Works with toxic materials.
Education and Training:
- GED or High School Diploma.
- 3+ Years’ experience operating a Mark IV and/or 6700 tampers
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Department: Complete Track Works
Reports to: Superintendent
Job Status: Full Time
Schedule: 7:00am – 4:30pm with additional hours as required. Travel Included 80+ %
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.