Back to Category List
Classroom Aide (Functional Skills Aide) (Part Time - no benefits)
Vista Hill is all about serving people. As a dynamic community-based organization, we develop and maintain a diverse array of quality services and programs throughout San Diego County. Our programs range from brief early intervention and preventive work with youth experiencing challenges, to treatment with school age kids, to long-term special education and training for individuals with developmental disabilities. We can be found assisting families in very difficult situations in many of our communities large and small, rural and suburban. You will see our caring staff working with challenging populations that most other agencies shy away from in areas that are conveniently located to the people we serve.
The Sam and Rose Stein Education Center serves the Developmentally Disabled students ages 5 to 22 who are unable to attend public schools. The work environment is challenging but rewarding. We are a caring organization with room for advancement.
The Functional Skills Aide works under the supervision of the Classroom Teacher to implement students’ instructional and behavior modification programs. The Functional Skills Aide assists with students’ self-help skills, such as eating, dressing, and toileting; communication, socialization, motor skills and play; pre-academic and academic activities; and community based activities, such as using public transportation, making purchases and working at a vocational site. An example of other tasks include:
· Implement individualized behavior modification programs including Behavior Support plans or Behavior Intervention Plans.
· Record daily data correctly for all students.
· Implement individual or group instructional programs.
· Supervise students during community outings, at vocational sites, and on field trips.
· Keep students involved in safe and appropriate activities during non-task times, including playground coverage at recess, when assigned by supervisor or designee.
· Assist in general clean-up.
· Assist students in all aspects of personal hygiene.
· Assist other classroom staff in a cooperative manner.
Must have High School Diploma or GED
Must be able to speak, read, and write in English
Must be able to pass a criminal background check, TB and drug test
This job is very physical in nature – applicants must be able to move quickly, bend, reach, push, pull, and lift up to 50lbs unassisted.
Must be able to assist in toileting and basic hygiene tasks.
Driver's license with 2 year clean record a big help!
Work hours are Monday – Friday, 8am – 1:30pm, 27.5 hours per week.
Position starts at $17.50 per hour
Please note – applicants with directly related experience and/or education may begin at a higher rate of pay.
Current Vista Hill employees in this job title for 2023 are paid $17.50 - $21 per hour.
This position receives paid time off (vacation and sick leave), paid holidays, and employer-paid pension.