Back to Category List
Classroom Aide (Functional Skills Aide) (Part Time - no benefits)
Location: San Diego, CA
Program: Stein Education Center - Special Education
The Sam and Rose Stein Education Center serves the Developmentally Disabled students ages 5 to 22 who are unable to attend public schools. The work environment is challenging but rewarding. We are a caring organization with room for advancement.
The Functional Skills Aide works under the supervision of the Classroom Teacher to implement students’ instructional and behavior modification programs. The Functional Skills Aide assists with students’ self-help skills, such as eating, dressing, and toileting; communication, socialization, motor skills and play; pre-academic and academic activities; and community based activities, such as using public transportation, making purchases and working at a vocational site. An example of other tasks include:
· Implement individualized behavior modification programs including Behavior Support plans or Behavior Intervention Plans.
· Record daily data correctly for all students.
· Implement individual or group instructional programs.
· Supervise students during community outings, at vocational sites, and on field trips.
· Keep students involved in safe and appropriate activities during non-task times, including playground coverage at recess, when assigned by supervisor or designee.
· Assist in general clean-up.
· Assist students in all aspects of personal hygiene.
· Assist other classroom staff in a cooperative manner.
· Must have High School Diploma or GED
· Must be able to speak, read, and write in English
· Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug test
· This job is very physical in nature – applicants must be able to move quickly, bend, reach, push, pull, and lift up to 40lbs unassisted.
Work hours are Monday – Friday, 8am – 1:30pm, 27.5 hours per week.
Position starts at $13.50 per hour
Please note – applicants with directly related experience and/or education may begin at a higher rate of pay.
This position receives paid time off (vacation and sick leave), paid holidays, and employer-paid pension.