The Primary Health Network, a Federally Qualified Health Center, provides quality primary care services and access to specialty care commensurate with the needs of the people in the communities we serve. Services are offered regardless of age, race, creed, sex, national origin or ability to pay.
Primary Health Network is first in offering quality care and caring to patients in communities. Primary Health Network is a leader among health centers through its commitment to developing innovative programs, new technologies and excellent facilities.
Back to Category List
Community Ambassador (Full Time )
Location: Erie County (city Erie)
A Community Ambassador is a trusted member of and/ or has unusually close understanding of the community served. This trusting relationship enables the Community Ambassador to serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
A Community Ambassador also builds individual and community capacity by increasing the knowledge and self-sufficiency through a range of activities such as outreach, community education, informal counseling, social support and advocacy.
Location and Hours of Position
The general office hours for this position is Mon-Fri 8:30 AM-5:00 PM. The position is located in Erie County.
- High school diploma, or GED.
- At least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities related to the job.
- Certified Community Health Worker in PA or be willing to work towards it
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
Additional Job Qualifications/Skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with a wide range of areas in a diverse community.
- Creative and analytical thinking
- Computer Skills
- Cultural Mediation among individuals, communities and Primary Care Home.
- Provide culturally appropriate health education/information
- Provide assistance with healthcare system navigation.
- Provide coaching and social support.
- Advocates for individuals and communities
- Build individual and community capacity
- Implements individual and community assessment.
- Conducts outreach
- Participates in evaluation and research
- Explores each person's specific barriers to receiving care and works with those necessary to develop and implement an individual plan to address barriers.
- Provides emotional support, validates patients’ feelings, asks open-ended questions, and listens reflectively.
- Interviews individuals about their health concerns, including survival and social concerns such as parental stress, nutrition, access to medical care, crime, domestic violence, mental health, and substance abuse.
- Provides links to supportive community resources and tracks referrals made to local programs to address patient-identified community and policy issues affecting disease management.
- Explores each patient’s specific barriers to receiving care and develops and implements an individualized plan to address these barriers, such as scheduling appointments, resolving insurance, accompanying patients to follow-up appointments, and making home visits.
- Acts as a consultant to underrepresented groups.
- Research and provide expertise on best practices and leading methodologies related to diversity, equity and inclusion in healthcare.
- Research and support evidence-based strategies to address health inequities.
- Develops and maintains professional and collaborative working relationships with other PHN departments and staff, supporting services across the Network.
- Create and maintain key community contacts through networking, community events, etc. to further build capacity to increase health equity within and surrounding the assigned regions.
Benefits - Eligible for health insurance benefits IMMEDIATELY upon hire
- Medical/Dental/Vision (Employee and Family plans available, eligible immediately upon start date!)
- Employer Paid Short Term disability
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- 8 Paid Holidays
- College Savings Plan
- Fitness Center Membership Reimbursement
- ID Shield & Legal Shield
- Volunteer Time off Program
Primary Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)