Back to Category List
> Available Positions
SSI Advocate (4053) (Regular Part-Time, Hourly)
Program/Location: East Corner Clubhouse (El Cajon)
SSI Advocate – Clubhouse and Self-Help Services
Hours: 16 hours per week; Monday - Friday. The primary role of this position is SSI Advocate with some peer support duties. The pay rate for this position is $15.00 per hour.
CRF: Why It’s A Great Place To Work!
Community Research Foundation inspires and mentors the next generation of mental health professionals! Our accredited programs reach various demographics, so you can gain experience with almost any sector of mental health services.
At CRF, we are constantly evolving and developing fresh approaches to meet the needs of San Diego County’s residents who are experiencing mental/behavioral health challenges.
CRF takes your dedication seriously, and provides benefits to help you balance your work life and your personal life. Our full-time (30 hours or more) staff earn 24 days of PTO per year plus generous holiday schedules; we offer top-of-the-line medical insurance, dental plans, paid life insurance, vision plans…and really generous retirement benefits. We also provide access to student loan repayment/forgiveness programs for graduates.
We have strong internal advancement option, so there are opportunities for you to grow within our company. Come join us!
East Corner Clubhouse, located in El Cajon, is a self-help rehabilitation services program that provides a variety daily living activities and opportunities for vocational training and development.
This program operates on the work ordered day model where activities related to the operation of the program are utilized as opportunities for member participation, training, and recovery. This program is member directed and membership is lifelong. The different functions necessary for the program’s operation are divided into departments.
All tasks are completed voluntarily by members who learn through experience and practice. In addition to certain necessary departments, East Corner Clubhouse offers training and work experience in other work areas as requested by the membership whenever possible. All staff is dedicated to the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation and actively partnering with the members to achieve their personal goals. The clubhouses provide services in a culturally sensitive manner.
Typical Duties of the SSI Advocate
The SSI Advocate assists consumers with applying for Social Security benefits. Duties include educating consumers and family members regarding the potential benefits of receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), training consumers about the application process, assisting consumers in completing and submitting the SSI application, and accompanying consumers to appointments. Maintains working relationship with Legal Aid SSI Advocacy.
- Provides assistance with the appeals process as needed for all consumers whose applications are denied as well as ongoing assistance and support to consumers as they go through the entire application process, until SSI is successfully obtained.
- Provides psychosocial rehabilitation services to Program participants by initiating milieu activities and performing errands in the community.
- Maintains a working relationship with the Legal Aid SSI Advocacy Program and is involved in outreach activities.
- Provides clerical and administrative support to the Program’s daily operations.
- Submits completed SSI applications to Legal Aid SSI Advocacy Program for review; helps consumers obtain medical records and supporting documentation and tracks progress of applications.
- Acts as an ambassador to the program by welcoming, providing orientation, and engaging prospective clients to the program
- Utilizes experiences as a recipient of mental health services to enhance recovery efforts of clients within the program
- Promotes and models the concept of recovery to program participants
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bilingual Arabic preferred for this position
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of 1 year experience providing related services to persons with disabilities, preferably in mental health services or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience as a person who has received mental health services or has a close family member that has received mental health services is required.
- Familiarity and/or experience with applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and dealing with the Social Security Administration
- Peer Employment Training preferred; required after hire
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, specifically Word and Excel, along with basic knowledge of Internet searches
- CPR/First Aid certification is required and must be maintained throughout employment
- Can initiate and perform work assignments with minimal supervision
- Above average reading comprehension, and grammatically correct written communication skills
- A valid California driver’s license in good standing and eligibility to be an approved CRF driver is required to fulfill the essential functions of this position. Determination of driver eligibility is based on criteria established by the County of San Diego, CRF’s automobile insurance carrier and the California DMV. Eligibility must be maintained through the duration of incumbency. In addition, proof of insurance is required prior to driving personal vehicles on company business.
- Able to pass criminal/background clearance
Be a part of our vibrant non-profit organization and make a difference in the lives of the people we serve!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer