Back to Category List
Peer Specialist (5712) (Regular Part-Time, Hourly)
Program/Location: Vista Balboa (Balboa Park)
Peer Specialist – Mental Health Services for Short-Term Acute Residential Treatment (START) Program
Hours: 8 to 24 hours per week; shift(s) may include days (8:00 am to 4:00 pm) and evenings (4:00 pm to Midnight) - weekdays and weekends.
Pay Rate: $18.26 per hour plus $3.00 shift differential for overnights or weekends.
CRF inspires and mentors the next generation of mental health professionals!
We are constantly evolving and developing fresh approaches to meet the needs of San Diego County’s residents who are experiencing mental/behavioral health challenges. We offer a diverse, inclusive work place that fosters personal growth and development. You will work within a collaborative, supportive team structure, learn new ways to provide optimal supports to your clients and help people change their lives for the better!
Located in San Diego, CA, Vista Balboa Crisis Center is a Short Term Acute Residential Treatment (START) program that provides intensive, community-based crisis residential services for adults throughout the North Coastal region of San Diego County. We deliver a unique alternative to psychiatric hospitalization to clients who are experiencing a psychiatric crisis of such magnitude so as not to be manageable on an outpatient basis. Our services are provided in a home-like environment that specializes in the psychosocial rehabilitation of each individual.
Built around a bio-psychosocial approach, our multi-disciplinary team addresses each aspect of a client’s unique situation, including mental health, co-occurring substance abuse, housing, medical/medication needs, and establishing connections to social service supports within the community to facilitate successful transition beyond the START program.
Typical Duties of the Peer Specialist
- Acts as an ambassador to the program by welcoming, providing orientation, and engage prospective clients to the program
- Utilizes experiences as a recipient of mental health services to enhance recovery efforts of clients within the program
- Promotes and models the concept of recovery to program participants
- Serves as a member of the multidisciplinary team and shares practical insight related to illness management, life skills, and the lifelong recovery process
- Acts as an advocate for the client when appropriate
- May assist clients by driving to appointments, benefits applications, assessing social service needs
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High School diploma/GED required; some college strongly preferred
- At least one year of work experience
- Experience as a person who has received mental health services or has a close family member that has received mental health services is required
- Peer Employment Training preferred, required after hire
- Previous experience working in mental health services is an advantage
- First Aid/CPR certification is required and must be kept current during employment
- Proficient computer skills, including MS Office
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment is essential
- A valid California driver’s license in good standing and eligibility to be an approved CRF driver is required to fulfill the essential functions of this position. In addition, proof of insurance is required prior to driving personal vehicles on company business.
- Ability to pass criminal/background clearance
Benefits: CRF provides benefits to help you balance your work life and your personal life. For full-time staff (30 hours or more), we offer...
- 19 days of PTO per year
- “Platinum +” medical plans, with minimal employee cost/expenses for you and excellent coverage
- Several dental plan options
- Vision benefits
- Company-paid life insurance and Long-Term Disability
- Tax-Free Flexible Spending for medical/dental/childcare expenses
- Generous retirement plan contributions
- Employee Assistance Plan for you and your family
- Employee discount program, including pet insurance plans
- Paid training and supervision hours are available
- Opportunities for advancement and growth
- We also provide access to student loan repayment/forgiveness programs for graduates.
All new hires are required to show proof of completed vaccination and booster before their first date of work, unless legally exempted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer