Back to Category List
Substance Abuse Specialist (5608) (Regular Full-Time, Hourly)
Program/Location: Senior IMPACT (Downtown SD)
Substance Abuse Specialist – Mental Health Services Assertive Community Treatment Program
Hours: 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm with crisis phone rotation.
CRF inspires and mentors the next generation of mental health professionals!
We are constantly evolving and developing fresh approaches to meet the needs of San Diego County’s residents who are experiencing mental/behavioral health challenges. We offer a diverse, inclusive work place that fosters personal growth and development. You will work within a collaborative, supportive team structure, learn new ways to provide optimal supports to your clients and help people change their lives for the better!
Located in the downtown area of San Diego, CA, the Senior Intensive Mobile Psychosocial Assertive Community Treatment (IMPACT) program provides intensive, community-based case management services for senior homeless adults throughout San Diego County. We deliver fully-integrated services to clients diagnosed with a serious mental illness, as well as individuals with co-occurring, mental health, and substance disorders.
Our program utilizes the evidence-based practice of Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) to support our clients in the higher level of community care and to assist them in reaching their goals and living a life that is not dominated by mental illness. Our team is a model of care, providing treatment, rehabilitation, and case management supports.
Typical Duties of the Substance Abuse Specialist
The Substance Abuse Specialist provides rehabilitation supports, training, and resources to clients in the IMPACT program.
- Provides crisis intervention, case management and rehab services and provides and/or coordinates substance abuse assessment, treatment planning, and service delivery tailored to the individual needs of the clients served
- Provides individual and group substance abuse counseling
- Assists in developing and designing curriculum and facilitates co-occurring disorders groups
- Facilitates substance abuse groups and networks with community substance treatment providers
- Develops and maintains client service plans that address the needs of each individual served in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team
- Provides cross-training for the rest of the team to deal effectively with substance abuse issues and optimize collaboration and support
- Services are provided in the clients’ homes as well as in community-based sites
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree or higher with at least 2 years of experience working with individuals who have a severe and persistent mental illness, as well as co-occurring disorders; Associate's degree with 6 years of experience working with individuals who have a severe and persistent mental illness, as well as co-occurring disorders will also be considered
- Candidates who are licensed-eligible with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences are encouraged to apply
- Two years’ experience training in substance abuse and/or addictions and previous experience providing substance abuse services within a mental health rehabilitation program
- Proficient computer skills, including MS Office
- Fluent bilingual Spanish – read, write, speak – preferred
- A valid California driver’s license in good standing and eligibility to be an approved CRF driver is required to fulfill the essential functions of this position. In addition, proof of insurance is required prior to driving personal vehicles on company business.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Able to pass criminal/background clearance
Benefits: CRF provides benefits to help you balance your work life and your personal life. For full-time staff (30 hours or more), we offer...
- 19 days of PTO per year
- 12 paid holidays per year
- “Platinum +” medical plans, with minimal employee cost/expenses for you and excellent coverage
- Several dental plan options
- Vision benefits
- Company-paid life insurance and Long-Term Disability
- Tax-Free Flexible Spending for medical/dental/childcare expenses
- Generous retirement plan contributions
- Employee Assistance Plan for you and your family
- Employee discount program, including pet insurance plans
- Paid training and supervision hours are available
- Opportunities for advancement and growth
- We also provide access to student loan repayment/forgiveness programs for graduates.
All new hires are required to show proof of completed vaccination and booster before their first date of work, unless legally exempted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer