Back to Category List
Mental Health Specialist (4961) (Regular Full-Time, Hourly)
Program/Location: Advance Central - San Diego
Mental Health Specialist - Developmental Services Program
Hours: 40 hours per week with after-hours crisis rotation coverage required.
In order to create a workplace that meets maximum health and safety standards, CRF follows all mandated COVID-19 safety protocols and guidelines as outlined by the State of California, San Diego County, and the CDC. All new hires are required to show proof of completed vaccination before their first date of work, unless legally exempted.
Community Research Foundation (CRF) inspires and mentors the next generation of mental health professionals!
At CRF, our accredited programs reach various demographics, so you can gain experience with almost any sector of mental health services. We are constantly evolving and developing fresh approaches to meet the needs of San Diego County’s residents who are experiencing mental/behavioral health challenges. You will have opportunities to learn new ways to provide optimal supports to your clients. Our program offers a collaborative, supportive team structure so that you can have fresh perspective and training from your supervisor and co-workers.
We have strong internal advancement options, so there are opportunities for you to grow within our company.
Advance San Diego…what is it?
This is a brand-new program under CRF/SDRC in San Diego County. The Advance San Diego program is a new and innovative crisis response team that supports adults with I/DD and behavioral health challenges. These individuals reside in their own homes, independent living situation, board and care, or other assisted/community-based living; services are offered in the Central San Diego area. These homes may be operated by other agencies or the individual may be in an insecure housing situation and need assistance finding housing. The CRF Crisis Response team will provide mobile services to help the individuals succeed in their homes and in the community.
What does the Mental Health Specialist do?
The primary role of the Mental Health Specialist is to provide assessments, develop treatment plans, and provide case coordination for your clients to ensure that their needs are met. You will help link your clients to the resources they need to positively affect their quality of life. Services are provided in the clients’ homes as well as in community-based sites. This is a great opportunity to work with dually-diagnosed adults!
Additional duties include:
- Complete mental health and substance use assessments; assess/monitor clients strengths and skills
- Implement individualized treatment plans to increase clients functional community and living skills
- Provide coordination of care between client providers and support systems
- Conduct individual and group counseling/psychotherapy sessions
- Provide crisis intervention, case management and rehab services as needed, which may be needed outside of regular business hours on occasion
- Create discharge plans and provide linkage to other support services within the community
- Work within an interdisciplinary team and participate in interdisciplinary treatment planning
- Occasionally accompany clients to various appointments (doctors, housing)
What are the requirements for the position?
- Master’s degree in a mental health-related field such as Social Work, Psychology, Counseling and Marriage and Family Therapy
- License-eligible or registered in CA with the BBS (Board of Behavioral Sciences)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with a mental health population, especially with individuals with severe and persistent mental illness and co-occurring disorders is strongly preferred; experience providing substance abuse services
- Previous experience working with clients that have a development disability/intellectual disability
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment is essential
- First Aid/CPR certification is required and must be kept current during employment
- A valid California driver’s license in good standing and eligibility to be an approved CRF driver is required to fulfill the essential functions of this position. In addition, proof of insurance is required prior to driving personal vehicles on company business.
- Ability to pass criminal/background clearance
CRF takes your dedication seriously and provides benefits to help you balance your work life and your personal life. This position offers full benefits, including:
- Excellent health insurance options, with low rates and co-pays
- Dental and vision insurance options
- Generous PTO…19 days/year
- 11 Paid holidays/year
- Paid life insurance
- Retirement Plan with generous employer contributions
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts…and more!
Come join us and make a difference in your community!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
CRF Internal Job Title: PSR Specialist