Back to Category List
Substance Abuse Specialist (4872) (Regular Full-Time, Hourly)
Program/Location: Advance Central - San Diego
Substance Abuse Specialist - Adults - Developmental Services Program
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday, with a rotation to take after-hour crisis phone calls.
In order to create a workplace that meets maximum health and safety standards, CRF follows all mandated COVID-19 safety protocols and guidelines as outlined by the State of California, San Diego County, and the CDC. All new hires are required to show proof of completed vaccination before their first date of work, unless legally exempted. Those who are currently in process of getting vaccinated are encouraged to apply.
Community Research Foundation (CRF) inspires and mentors the next generation of mental health professionals!
At CRF, our accredited programs reach various demographics, so you can gain experience with almost any sector of mental health services. We are constantly evolving and developing fresh approaches to meet the needs of San Diego County’s residents who are experiencing mental/behavioral health challenges. For you, that means that you will have opportunities to learn new ways to provide optimal supports to your clients. You will work within a collaborative, supportive team structure so that you can have fresh perspective and training.
Need clinical supervision? We can help you get your hours. Best of all, you will be involved in helping people change their lives for the better! We have strong internal advancement options, so there are opportunities for you to grow within our company.
This is a brand-new program under CRF/SDRC in San Diego County. The Advance Central+ program is a new and innovative crisis response team that supports adults with I/DD and behavioral health challenges. These individuals reside in their own homes, independent living situation, board and care, or other assisted/community-based living. These homes may be operated by other agencies or the individual may be in an insecure housing situation and need assistance finding housing. The CRF Crisis Response team will provide mobile services to help the individuals succeed in their homes and in the community.
This program is considered essential, including times of public/community emergencies and/or pandemics. Crisis intervention may be needed during regular business hours, as well as occasional evening/weekend calls by phone.
Typical Duties of the Substance Abuse Specialist
- Provides crisis intervention, case management and rehab services and provides and/or coordinates substance abuse assessment, treatment planning, and service delivery tailored to the individual needs of the clients served
- Provides individual and group substance abuse counseling
- Assists in developing and designing curriculum and facilitates co-occurring disorders groups
- Facilitates substance abuse groups and networks with community substance treatment providers
- Develops and maintains client service plans that address the needs of each individual served in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team
- Provides cross-training for the rest of the team to deal effectively with substance abuse issues and optimize collaboration and support
- Services are provided in the clients’ homes as well as in community-based sites
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required with at least 2 years of experience with working with individuals who have a severe and persistent mental illness, as well as co-occurring disorders; CADAC certification strongly preferred
- Candidates who are licensed-eligible with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences are encouraged to apply
- Two years’ experience training in substance abuse and/or addictions and previous experience providing substance abuse services within a mental health rehabilitation program
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, specifically Word and Excel
- Fluent bilingual Spanish – read, write, speak – preferred
- A valid California driver’s license in good standing and eligibility to be an approved CRF driver is required to fulfill the essential functions of this position. In addition, proof of insurance is required prior to driving personal vehicles on company business.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Able to pass criminal/background clearance
Benefits: CRF takes your dedication seriously and provides benefits to help you balance your work life and your personal life. For full-time staff (30 hours or more), we offer top-of-the-line medical insurance, dental plans, paid life insurance, vision plan, retirement benefits, and generous PTO (Paid Time Off). We also provide access to student loan repayment/forgiveness programs for graduates.
Be a part of our vibrant non-profit organization and make a difference in the lives of the people we serve!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer