Back to Category List
Substance Abuse Specialist (4704) (Regular Full-Time, Hourly)
Program/Location: Douglas Young Youth & Family Services (Kearny Mesa)
Substance Abuse Specialist – Mental Health Services for Children, Youth and Family Program
Hours: 40 hours per week: Monday - Wednesday, 10:00 pm to 6:00 pm; Thursday, 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Friday, 9:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
CRF places staff and client safety at the forefront and follows all COVID-19 safety protocols and guidelines as outlined by San Diego County, the State of California, and the CDC.
Community Research Foundation (CRF) inspires and mentors the next generation of mental health professionals!
At CRF, our accredited programs reach various demographics, so you can gain experience with almost any sector of mental health services. We are constantly evolving and developing fresh approaches to meet the needs of San Diego County’s residents who are experiencing mental/behavioral health challenges. For you, that means that you will have opportunities to learn new ways to provide optimal supports to your clients. You will work within a collaborative, supportive team structure so that you can have fresh perspective and training.
Need clinical supervision? We can help you get your hours. Best of all, you will be involved in helping people change their lives for the better! We have strong internal advancement options, so there are opportunities for you to grow within our company.
Located in San Diego, CA, Douglas Young Youth and Family Services is a children/youth outpatient program which provides services to the Central/North Central region of San Diego County. We provide a range of services including crisis intervention, individual, family, and group therapy, medication support, rehabilitation, case management and drug and alcohol services while incorporating the family systems and wrap-around approach. We provide mental health services to children and youth with Medi-Cal and Healthy Families Funding as well as those who are uninsured and underinsured.
Typical Duties of the Substance Abuse Specialist
The Substance Abuse Specialist assists clients and families in using medical care, education, and family resources. Services are provided in English and several threshold languages.
- Provides crisis intervention, case management and rehab services and provides and/or coordinates substance abuse assessment, treatment planning, and service delivery tailored to the individual needs of the clients served
- Provides interventions to clients and/or members of clients’ families in a timely and professional manner in mental health rehabilitation, case management, groups and family modalities
- Conducts collateral interviews as indicated with all identified partners, i.e., school, social services, probation and other treatment providers
- Develops and maintains client service plans that address the needs of each individual served
- Provides cross-training for the rest of the team to deal effectively with substance abuse issues and optimize collaboration and support
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required with at least 2 years of experience with working with individuals who have a severe and persistent mental illness, as well as co-occurring disorders; CADAC certification strongly preferred
- Two years’ experience training in substance abuse and/or addictions and previous experience providing substance abuse services within a mental health rehabilitation program
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, specifically Word and Excel; knowledge and experience in County Health and Human Services requirements including documentation strongly preferred
- Fluent bilingual Spanish – read, write, speak – preferred
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Reliable transportation is required to fulfill the essential functions of this position. A valid California driver’s license in good standing and proof of insurance are required for employees driving personal vehicles on company business
- Able to pass criminal/background clearance
Be a part of our vibrant non-profit organization and make a difference in the lives of the people we serve!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer