The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is an assembly of the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in the United States and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The purpose of the Conference is to promote the greater good which the Church offers humankind. The bishops themselves constitute the membership of the Conference and are served by a staff of approximately 315 lay people, priests, deacons, and religious, located at the Conference headquarters in Washington, DC, with branch offices in Miami, FL and Rome.
The Conference is organized as a corporation in the District of Columbia. Its purposes under civil law are: "To unify, coordinate, encourage, promote and carry on Catholic activities in the United States; to organize and conduct religious, charitable and social welfare work at home and abroad; to aid in education; to care for immigrants; and generally to enter into and promote by education, publication and direction the objects of its being."
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, marital status, disability or other status protected by Federal, State or local laws, except where a reasonable, bona fide occupational qualification exists. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be provided to individuals needing assistance.
Please note: This application requires cookies to be enabled on your browser or device. If cookies are not enabled, your application may not be able to be sent. When your application is successful, you will receive an on screen ID number and a confirmation email. Please complete the application in one sitting, otherwise it will time out.
Clergy/religious candidates must request written approval form their diocesan bishop or religious superior before an application can be considered. Diocesan lay employees must also request approval from the local bishop. Minorities are encourage to apply.
Select a Department-Office-Secretariat below to view the available career position(s)
Back to Category List
Available Positions > Job Description
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Full Time)
Directs and coordinates high-level administrative support for the Office of Finance & Accounting. Facilitates the work of the Chief Financial Officer by providing administrative support for the CFO and the Office. Supports the CFO in the work of the Committee on Budget & Finance, the Audit Subcommittee, the Accounting Practices Committee, and other committees as assigned.
Contributes to the Bishops’ strategic plan for the Conference. Demonstrates willingness and ability to understand, respect, and contribute to the USCCB mission and fulfill job duties following its Catholic identity.
Education Level: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience or college-level course work and related experience, preferably in an accounting office. Major Field/Specialty: Accounting/business, administrative coordination, technology, office skills, general management.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assist the CFO in preparing materials and handling the logistics for meetings for the Committee on Budget & Finance and the Audit Sub-committee. Prepares correspondence for approval and signature of the respective committee chairs.
· Attend meetings, record, and transcribe the Committee on Budget and Finance proceedings and the Audit Sub-committee. Transcribes meeting minutes as needed from the Accounting Practices Committee meeting. Ensures that materials for the Administrative Committee, General Assembly, and all correspondence for the Office of the General Secretary are in a proper format.
· Manage correspondence of the CFO by preparing memoranda, investigating and dispositioning miscellaneous correspondence, outgoing proofing correspondence, and maintaining chronological files, hard and soft copy. Responsible for general office correspondence archives.
· Ensure distribution lists, notifications, and other documentation is current and maintained.
· Research and prepare reports on behalf of the CFO.
· Works with CFO to manage their schedule; coordinates CFO’s participation in requests for meetings, conference calls, and attendance at events.
· Performs the overall administrative support for the Office of Finance & Accounting, opening and routing mail, ordering supplies, etc.
· Distribute track and follow-up on tasks assigned by the CFO to staff to ensure progress to deadlines.
· Assist with Conference-wide annual budget preparation materials.
· Manage distribution and cancellation of Conference corporate credit cards; act as the liaison between conference cardholders and credit card companies.
· Assists accounts payable function by tracking outstanding corporate credit card submissions.
· Arrange travel for CFO and ensure expenses are processed accordingly.
· Act as a second person for daily opening and recording of incoming cash receipts.
· Ensure the absence calendar for Finance & Accounting staff is maintained.
· Coordinate account set up with the IT department for incoming full-time and temporary staff.
· Reconcile and monitor the use of the Bishops Travel Fund for compliance with Conference policy.
· Maintain mailing list of Diocesan Fiscal Managers.
· Knowledge of the Catholic Church hierarchy, protocol, and fundamental doctrine.
· Full competence in Microsoft Office products; proficiency with Adobe products required. Experience with email and the internet is required.
· Knowledge of Microix and Sage/Abila helpful. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Proven ability to work well with others. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Flexibility to set and change work priorities; occasionally working additional hours; proven ability to draft comprehensive correspondence.
Number of years required: 4-6 years