Environmental Scientist II
Select Location: South Dakota: Rapid City, SD
At American Engineering Testing youâ€™ll have the opportunity to work with the best and brightest in the industry. Everyday our employees apply their diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to our mission of engineering and delivering creative solutions that improve our world. Weâ€™ll support you as a valued member of our team, whether youâ€™re established in your career or just starting out, through training programs, hands-on experience, mentoring opportunities, and guidance from respected industry leaders. As a 100% employee-owned company, our employees share in the rewards of our growth and success.
American Engineering Testing, Inc. (AET) specializes in geotechnical engineering, pavement engineering, environmental consulting, building technology consulting, construction materials design and testing, and petrographic/chemical analysis. Our extensive in-house resources and solid reputation attract quality-focused regional, national, and international clients from a wide range of industries.
Plan, direct, and complete environmental projects by applying knowledge of scientific and environmental principles and practices to specific problems.Â Independently evaluate, select and apply standard scientific techniques.Â Receive guidance on unusual and/or complex problems. Work is reviewed for application of sound professional judgment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations or workable solutions may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Conduct environmental evaluations including Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments, Remedial Investigations and develop and implement corrective action design alternatives.
- Conduct site evaluations including feasibility studies, design studies, construction supervision, equipment start-up and operation.
- Prepare technical reports of environmental evaluations including recommendations.
- Prepare permit applications and provide advice to clients regarding compliance with regulations and environmental impacts of their operations.
- Design, supervise, and participate in monitoring programs for data collection.
- Perform testing, monitoring programs, and other activities in the field.
- Manage projects from initial authorization to completion including client interaction, work scheduling, establishing and monitoring project budget, timely invoicing and quality control.
- Maintain current working knowledge of applicable regulations, policies, procedures and technologies in designated field(s).
- Participate in at least one professional organization.
- Maintain professional registration(s) or progress toward registration.
- Prepare proposals and assist in marketing AET services.
- Aid in company marketing functions.
OTHER AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Conduct field, laboratory and office activities in a manner consistent with federal, state, and local regulations, along with AETâ€™s QA andÂ Health and Safety Policies, to promote the safety and protection of employees, clients and the public.
- Maintain valid driverâ€™s license and acceptable driving record.Â Some positions may require use of personal vehicle for company business.Â Maintain compliance with DOT driver regulations if required for position.Â Maintain appropriate physicals if required for position.
- Frequent travel required within regional area.Â Occasional out-of-town travel.
- Properly use and maintain company instruments and equipment.
- Maintain the quality of service and work product.
- Complete assigned projects within budget and satisfy client needs.
- Coordinate with other AET staff company-wide with the ultimate goal of increasing efficiency, productivity and communication.
- Perform other tasks as necessary to meet departmental or company goals.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in chemistry, biology, or other appropriate scientific discipline with 3 or more years related experience; OR
- Advanced degree in chemistry, biology, or other appropriate scientific discipline with 2 or more years of related experience.
- Appropriate â€śin-trainingâ€ť certification required in areas licensed by the state.Â
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated skill and proficiency in scientific principals and the ability to develop and implement solutions to a wide range of environmental problems.
- Physical ability to wear a respirator, successfully complete OSHA required 40 hour training and occasionally move up to 40 pounds.
- Communication skills sufficient to convey complex technical information in a clear manner to diverse audiences.
- Ability to interact successfully with a wide variety of people, work effectively within project teams, resolve issues and problems in a constructive manner, and work independently in the field.Â
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of company quality, safety, technical, and accounting standards, procedures and programs.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload based on client and department schedules.
- Skill in analyzing complex project related data, identifying root causes of problems, ability to recognize when innovative solutions are required and may need to be escalated to higher levels, and provide input to resolution.
- Ability to work at environmental remediation, industrial and construction sites and perform field work including, but not limited to, collecting samples, operating field instruments, following procedures, planning, organizing and arranging logistics for the job, and documenting field activities and data collected.Â
AET is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer; AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability friendly employer.Â All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State, or local laws.