ABOUT GOODWILL: Goodwill Industries of the Chesapeake, Inc. has enjoyed over 94 years of history in the Baltimore area helping others help themselves. Goodwill collects reusable items for resale in our retail stores, trains people for work and living skills and instills dignity and purpose in countless people’s lives. Today, we employ more than 800 individuals; operate more than 25 retail stores throughout Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, Cecil County, Harford County, Howard County and the Eastern Shore; 9 career development sites and provide a variety of commercial services at several locations. Most importantly, we annually provide services to more than 30,000 people in need of assistance because of physical, mental or other social barriers and we place over 2,400 people in jobs giving them “not a charity, but a chance”.
We understand that without dedicated and hardworking employees, our mission would be impossible to achieve. We look for passionate and enthusiastic employees to fill full-time and part-time positions throughout our organization. We strive to be an “Employer of Choice” through various programs, including physical and financial wellness and our partnership with Vehicles for Change.
We offer a variety of health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401l investments, company paid life insurance and company paid long term disability. We also offer supplemental plans which are employee paid. We are proud to offer family and domestic partner coverage for some benefit plans. We also provide paid vacation time, paid holidays and paid sick time. Benefits coverage and plans are based on certain eligibility criteria.
Goodwill Industries of the Chesapeake, Inc. prepares people to secure and retain employment and build successful independent lives.
Simply put, it’s good to work at Goodwill!
Goodwill Industries of the Chesapeake, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Job offers are contingent on a criminal background check and drug test. Additional pre-employment conditions may be required based on specific positions, requirements and responsibilities and will be indicated in the job listing.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS: Please consider the job location when reviewing open positions and apply for those jobs which you can travel to. All job locations are included in the listing.
Administration – positions in Accounting, Administrative Support, Human Resources and Marketing
Commercial Services – positions at our custodial contract sites, including SSA Administration in Woodlawn and Fort Meade
Recycling Center/Operations – positions at our recycling center in Linthicum such as truck drivers, forklift operators and material handlers
Retail Stores – positions are various store locations in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Harford County, Howard County, Anne Arundel County, Cecil County and the Eastern Shore (Salisbury and Easton). Positions including store manager, assistant manager, sales associate/process and ADC attendants
Workforce Development – positions in our social services/workforce development division at various locations including case managers, job placement and rehabilitation services
Back to Category List
Available Positions > Job Description
Employment Specialist II (Full Time)
Prepare participants for employment through business engagement, training and retention services by developing strategic career plans that focus on barrier resolution and goal attainment. Individual will integrate various training courses, teaching methods and/or job coaching to help persons secure and retain competitive employment opportunities leading to self-sufficiency. Facilitate and track job placement and retention to secure positive outcomes aligned with corporate goals and mission.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Conducts program intake, orientation, and registration
· Administers educational, interest and aptitude assessments
· Facilitates weekly job readiness training and group sessions, administering pre and post assessments to evaluate training outcomes, providing programmatic recommendations and/or interventions as needed
· Applies workforce development and adult education best practices to strengthen the quality of training and increase the likelihood of job attainment and retention
· Assists participant with developing and implementing plans for educational, vocational and employment goals
· Provides referrals and linkages to community resources to address barriers to employment such as childcare, transportation, housing, benefits and entitlements
· Maintains programmatic data in client tracking system and compiles billings records and monthly reports indicating service outcomes in a timely and accurate manner
· Develops and maintains positive job placement, business engagement and referral source opportunities in the community with local businesses and human service agencies
· Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the community, rehabilitation models, employment trends and labor market data
· Facilitates hiring events and information sessions, pre-screening applicants to assess job matches
· Provides post-placement support for both employers and program graduates to increase employment retention rates
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Education, Social Services, Human Resource or related field required.
· Three (3) years of experience providing training, instruction, job development or coaching in a career development setting required.
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations:
· Must possess a current valid driver’s license and be fully insured according to Maryland law.
Scope of Supervision:
· Candidate may be responsible for monitoring trainees participating in on-the-job training services at the career center.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Highly developed written, speaking, listening and professional communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate information to people at various levels of comprehension
· Ability to manipulate numbers and complete required monthly reports
· Compassion and respect for persons with special needs and the ability to earn their confidence
· Strong presentation and instructional skills that appeal to diverse learning styles
· Light – Lifting up to 25 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing up to 10 pounds. May be required to regularly stand for extended periods of time, walk, reach with hands/arms with full range of motion, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, push or pull. Regularly required to talk and hear. Frequently required to use hands and fingers to hold, handle and feel objects, knobs, keys and/or buttons.
Travel is defined as travel to all areas within Goodwill’s territory (Cecil, Harford, Baltimore, Howard, Anne Arundel Counties, Baltimore City and the entire Eastern Shore of Maryland). In some cases, long-distance travel, including overnights may be required but is typically panned in advance. In some cases, travel may be unplanned.
· Up to 25% of working time
· Must have access to personal vehicle
· Limited – General office environment where the employee is infrequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, airborne particles or outside weather conditions. The noise level is usually quiet.